FAQ – frequently asked questions

This post is also available in: Italian

They regard:
A. Approach to the study of theology
B. Course enrollment
C. Italian State acknowledgement of ecclesiastical academic qualifications

For further details please apply to segreteria@fttr.it



Which university course must be attended to obtain a theological formation?
The Theological Faculty of Triveneto (FTTR) offers two university courses: Theology and Religious Sciences. Our theological course gives a complete and articulated knowledge of Christian theology in connection with philosophy and human sciences. In the seat of our Theological Faculty of Triveneto students may attend a complete course articulated in three academic levels: Baccalaureate Diploma (first five-year cycle), Licentia (second two-year cycle) and Doctorate (third cycle) (https://www.fttr.it/educational-offer/theological-course/?lang=en).
The program of Religious Sciences outlines the main themes of theology together with their philosophical and complementary assumptions in human sciences. This course is also available at the Institutes connected with the Faculty and includes a three-year course (Baccalaureate in Religious Sciences) and the ensuing two-year course (Licentia in Religious Sciences) (https://www.fttr.it/educational-offer/religious-sciences-course/?lang=en).
Other non-academic courses are offered by Diocesan Schools of theological formation.

Which are the professional outlets? In which working environment this theological formation can be practiced?
Most students intend to operate as teachers in public and private schools at all levels. A few students at the end of their studies devote to humanitarian, missionary or volunteer projects or intend to serve in local churches. Other students commit to Presbyterial service or to the apostolate of ordained life.
Young and adults may attend individual courses as auditors if they have a personal interest to fundamental and current themes ranging from Bible to ethics, from religious pluralism to the debate between theology and science and from social themes to art.

Which theological course should be attended to teach Catholic religion in public and private schools?
The CEI-MIUR agreement (June 28th 2012) says that the teaching of Catholic religion is to be entrusted to people presenting at least one of the following qualifications: Baccalaureate, Licentia or Doctorate in Theology or Laurea Magistralis in Religious Sciences. In addition some exams for professional qualification must be given: general pedagogy, school theory, school legislation, didactics for teaching Catholic religion and didactic training.

May age limits and school qualifications bar the enrollment to theological study or to Religious Sciences attendance?
There are no age limits. The enrollment as ordinary student requires the school qualifications accepted by the Italian State for the admission to university courses. Without these awards people may be enrolled as non-ordinary students.

May the study of theology be attended by working people? Is the attendance mandatory?
Theological courses require an active and regular attendance. Students must attend at least 2/3 of total lessons to gain admission to the exams.

Is the knowledge of ancient languages (Latin, Greek and Hebrew) necessary to study theology?
The study of ancient languages is needed for the theological course. The Faculty offers Latin, Greek and Hebrew classes. These classes are not required for the courses in Religious Sciences.

Are remote courses available?
Yes. With the permission of the director of studies remote courses can be attended by the following specific categories of students: severely disabled people, people in jail, individuals consecrated to contemplative life (monks, nuns, hermits) and people operating full time in pastoral roles (permanent deacons, religion teachers). In addition, as indicated by the direction, some courses can be fully attended on line by all students. The opportunity of remote theological formation (fad) is available at the didactic centre of Belluno in its Superior Institute of Religious Sciences “Giovanni Paolo I” with seat in Treviso (https://www.issrgp1.it) and at the didactic centre in Trieste at the Superior Institute of Religious Sciences “Santi Ermagora e Fortunato” with seat in Udine (https://www.issrermagoraefortunato.it).

Are the library services available for non-enrolled students?
Yes, they are. Please apply to the library for registration, writing to biblioteca@fttr.it or refer to www.bibliotecafttr.it.

May Faculty enrollment fees be deducted from taxes?
Yes the Faculty is chartered by the Italian State. Taxes can be deducted at 19% according to the maximum level decided by the MIUR (humanistic-social discipline pole) every year on the average of imports and duties required for enrollment and attendance to State Universities. For further details on taxes see page: https://www.fttr.it/segreteria/tasse.



Which are the enrollment conditions?
The enrollment and registration conditions are written in the Faculty Guidelines (art. 31) (https://www.fttr.it/la-facoltà/statuto/). A high-school diploma acknowledged by the student’s native country for university admission is required for the first cycle enrollment. Students will be admitted to the second cycle if they are awarded with a Baccalaureate in Theology (mark no less than 24/30). For the third cycle – Doctorate – the Licentia mark cannot be less than 26/30. For further information: https://www.fttr.it/registration/?lang=en.

Must foreign students present additional documents?
Yes they must present the translation of the school qualifications required for the university admission in their own countries. In addition they must self-certify they are not enrolled in other universities. Art. 32 of the Faculty Guidelines enlists other documents to be presented to the secretary when enrolling (https://www.fttr.it/lafacoltà/statuto). For further information: https://www.fttr.it/registration/?lang=en).

May non-Catholic students and students coming from non-Catholic theological faculties be admitted to the Faculty or to the Institute of Religious Sciences?
Yes if they comply with the directions described at art. 31 and 32 of our Guidelines (for foreign students). Art. 33 adds other requirements: an introduction letter from a religious authority; for the second cycle an oral test with the director on the fundamental questions of Catholic religion, in addition to a qualification equaling Baccalaureate (https://www.fttr.it/la-facolta/statuto/). The same conditions are required for the enrollment to the Institute of Religious Sciences according to the Institute Guidelines (http://www.issrdipadova.it/statuto-e-regolamento/).
For further information: https://www.fttr.it/registration/?lang=en.

I have a state graduation. Am I entitled to receive course credits (CFU/ECTS) when entering Theology or Religious Sciences?
Exams taken in state universities may be acknowledged if they correspond for number of credits, study programs and teachers’ qualifications. The application for these credits must be presented to the Director together with the enrollment application. The achieved-study certificate must be attached to the application.

Are the exams taken in a Diocese school of theological formation recognized?
No because they do not reach an academic level.

I am awarded with the Master in Religious Sciences (old four-year plan). What is required to obtain a Baccalaureate or a Licentia in Religious Sciences?
Attendance to regular courses is required for a Baccalaureate in Theology and exams must be given to be awarded with this new academic qualification, after the attended courses of the old master program have been validated. Similar requirements are needed to achieve a Licentia in Religious Sciences: students are directly enrolled to the Licentia course with the credit of 30 ECTS. In both cases the study plan will be agreed upon with the course director.

With Baccalaureate and Licentia in Religious Sciences at which year of the first cycle of Theology may I be enrolled?
The year will be decided according to the obtained validations and credits (ECTS) which might correspond to three years (180). The two-year courses in Religious Sciences are hardly validated because they are not included in the Baccalaureate study-plan.

I am awarded with a Licentia in Religious Sciences (new 3+2 plan). May I be enrolled to the post-graduation course in Theology (pastoral/spiritual)?
No, first a Baccalaureate in Theology is required. If you do not wish to obtain the Licentia you can attend the courses as auditor. For information on Licentia: https://www.fttr.it/offerta-formativa/percorso-di-teologia/ciclo-di-licenza-2/secondo-ciclo-presentazione/

I already have a Licentia in Theology and I would like a Licentia in pastoral or spiritual Theology. May I enroll?
Generally who is already awarded with a Licentia in Theology intends to obtain a doctorate. However for good and justified reasons a second Licentia may be obtained asking the validation of courses and exams already given for the first Licentia.



Is the Theological Faculty of Triveneto acknowledged by the Italian Republic?
The Theological Faculty of Triveneto has been founded with the decree dated June 20th 2005 of the Congregation of Catholic Education (Holy See). It has been ratified by the Home Office (decree March 10th 2006). Eventually it has been registered in the Prefect’s Registrar Office for legal persons in Padua (nr 36 P).

Are academic awards in theology acknowledged by the Italian Republic?
Baccalaureate, Licentia and Doctorate in theology awarded by the Theological Faculty of Triveneto may be ratified by the Italian State. Information for activating the equipollence procedures are to be asked at the Secretary (segreteria@fttr.it).

May the same procedure be activated for the Baccalaureate and Licentia in Religious sciences?
Yes, Baccalaureate and Licentia in Religious Sciences are acknowledged by the didactic rules of State universities as Graduation and Laurea Magistralis according to the DPR dated May 27th 2019 nr 63 (GU – general series nr 160 dated July 10th 2019) which approves the exchange of verbal notes between the Italian Embassy and the Holy See for the ratification of pontifical academic titles on ecclesiastic disciplines.

condividi su